[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Feb 17 16:16:25 GMT 2012

Andrew Chadwick wrote:
> I think we should drop recommendations of highway=path + access tags
> completely, because nobody really seems to be using that scheme. Go with
> the hybrid approach building on existing understated tagging as
> outlined in the link above, but state that a) designation=* is needed to
> be meaningful about rights of way, b) access tags can optionally be
> added and actually do make the map data more globally useful.

That sounds sensible to me - recommend that newcomers do what most
people in England and Wales already do.

The "England and Wales" vs rest of UKoGBaNI issue can probably be most
easily addressed by renaming it as an "England and Wales" guideline
page?  The issues it attempts to address are an English and Welsh
problem that the parts of the country with sensible access rules don't have.

Cheers,
Andy