[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Feb 17 19:42:09 GMT 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 16:16 +0000, SomeoneElse wrote:

> The "England and Wales" vs rest of UKoGBaNI issue can probably be most
> easily addressed by renaming it as an "England and Wales" guideline
> page?  The issues it attempts to address are an English and Welsh
> problem that the parts of the country with sensible access rules don't have.

No sure they are sensible. I have read somewhere, and my experience
backs it up, is that the Scottish model works best for land above 2000
feet and the English/Welsh model works best for land below 2000 feet.

Being able to walk anywhere doesn't provide a means for actually walking
there. The English/Welsh system ensures that there is a way through a
series of fields, not just a right to walk there.

Phil