[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 09:41:56 GMT 2012

If we treat path and footway as synonims, that would be ok.   The only
thing is that I (maybe incorrectly) treat footway as having an implied
access permission (things like little paved walkways in towns) - a bit like
highway=unclassified.

On the other hand I treat highway=path as just being a statement of fact -
'there is a path here', so it needs some access tags adding to it.   In my
mind highway = footway is about the same as highway=path; foot=yes (or
maybe designation=public_footpath, but that is more specific).

We should clarify this if we are going to treat them the same or adopt one
over the other.

Graham.

from my phone