[Talk-GB] License change & anonymous edits

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Jan 10 13:19:26 GMT 2012

On 10/01/2012 13:43, Peter Miller wrote:

> On 10 January 2012 12:07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com
> <mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/01/2012 11:44, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>         Is there no way in this case to formally 'claim' the IPR for this
>         features on the basis that we have moved them and edited all the
>         surrounding features?
>

>     Exactly the question I raised on talk on Monday. I don't think you
>     even need to have moved anything, merely to have checked against a
>     valid source other than the non-accepting contributor (e.g. Bing
>     for location, local knowledge or OSSV etc for names) in order to
>     claim the IPR. I really don't see what mechanically then
>     reproducing what is already there actually adds to the process
>     other than wasted time.
>

> Thank you. This is a matter of judgement by the Licensing Working
> Group and they should come back with a clear view on it.

Our formal minuted doctrine, Item 7
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1pPOFHo_o5inG9Ereh3Zn5ItmctZGRFbcmnKwtbyNkdM
, is that it is for the community to pass judgement on whether the
criteria are acceptable rather than LWG and that criteria are recorded
on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/What_is_clean%3F
so that it is publicly transparent and in one centralised resource.  We
monitor and will scream if we think the there is any veering away from
good faith and reasonable effort to check either that the IPR of
non-continuing mappers has been completely removed or that it has been
completely duplicated by continuing mappers.

Anything like this also needs to be practical enough for a quantitative
rule to be easily coded into visualisation tools and into final rebuild
scripts by our technical volunteers.

+1 to Richard's suggestion odbl=clean . Your userid is recorded with the
tag addition.

Note also that some anonymous contributors did actually provide email
addresses, got our bulk emailings and have said yes to the new terms.

Mike