[Talk-GB] Fwd: HS2 route

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 10 18:19:47 GMT 2012

Just noticed that this response when to Andy alone. Copying to the list.

> On 10 January 2012 11:14, Andy Robinson <ajrlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Latest HS2 announcement today means that there will be a lot of discussion
>> about the route (generally and specific locations) over the coming years.
>> Currently the new route plans [2] have the usual OS copyright notice. What
>> we need is the bare bones of the proposed infrastructure released under
>> the
>> open government licence. Any ideas or avenues for achieving that? I'm not
>> suggesting we rush to put the proposed route into OSM but it would be nice
>> to be able to do so when the time is ripe.

You beat me to it! I was about the do pretty much the same post. Agreed -
we should add the route.

This map (http://www.umapper.com/maps/view/id/58620/) has been produced by
myself and others and is in my view 100% free of OS copyright. I suggest we
check it for currency and then get on with it. You will notice that this
map is already included in the HS2 article on Wikipedia. Zoom in and there
is detail of the station layout etc.

Regarding OS copyright, the OS do not claim derived copyright any more for
3rd party content that is displayed on an OS map just so long as they do
not present that sort of feature on their mapping. As such any copyright
infringement would be with the government, not the OS in my view.

Regards,

Peter