[Talk-GB] HS2 route

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 10 18:21:11 GMT 2012

On 10 January 2012 18:19, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> Just noticed that this response when to Andy alone. Copying to the list.
>

>> On 10 January 2012 11:14, Andy Robinson <ajrlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Latest HS2 announcement today means that there will be a lot of
>>> discussion
>>> about the route (generally and specific locations) over the coming years.
>>> Currently the new route plans [2] have the usual OS copyright notice.
>>> What
>>> we need is the bare bones of the proposed infrastructure released under
>>> the
>>> open government licence. Any ideas or avenues for achieving that? I'm not
>>> suggesting we rush to put the proposed route into OSM but it would be
>>> nice
>>> to be able to do so when the time is ripe.
>>>

> You beat me to it! I was about the do pretty much the same post. Agreed -
> we should add the route.
>
> This map (http://www.umapper.com/maps/view/id/58620/) has been produced
> by myself and others and is in my view 100% free of OS copyright. I suggest
> we check it for currency and then get on with it. You will notice that this
> map is already included in the HS2 article on Wikipedia. Zoom in and there
> is detail of the station layout etc.
>
> Regarding OS copyright, the OS do not claim derived copyright any more for
> 3rd party content that is displayed on an OS map just so long as they do
> not present that sort of feature on their mapping. As such any copyright
> infringement would be with the government, not the OS in my view.

I have added the approximate route, based on the umapper resource I
mentioned from Euston as far as Amersham and will add more detail this
evening. To get it much more accurate we are going to need to get the
government to release a KML file or similar for the route or as a mimimum
allow us to trace from their route as plotted on the OS mapping. Personally
I feel that it is better to have something approximate nothing and it
should encourage them to release it if they are holding back.

Regards,

Peter