[Talk-GB] Pigging potlach ...

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:41:42 GMT 2012

On 11 January 2012 00:21, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> Well I'm on SUSE11.3 64bit into an AMD quad core with 8Gb RAM and Seamonkey
> 2.6.1
> Rock stable with everything else I run.
> I'll switch to Firefox on another machine when I have a little more time
> tomorrow night.
>
> Just pissed me off that I'd fixed the same block twice, but not managed to
> save any of the work :(

Hi Lester,

Sorry to hear that potlatch is freezing on you. Maybe you can give us
some more details? First off, the flash version number would be a
great help, it's the most likely thing to be a significant difference
between your machine and others. Seamonkey vs Firefox is less likely
to be a trigger, since both use the same plugin mechanisms to load
flash which runs potlatch.

Also, can you describe the "freeze"? Is it just the save button that
stops working, or is it everything? When it freezes is your machine at
100% CPU (on one core) or idle? ("top" may help identify the process
if it's burning CPU). Is there anything in particular that triggers
it? What state is it in when it freezes - are you just panning around,
have you just entered a tag, is there a feature selected etc? For
these, a screenshot of the frozen p2 might be useful for us.

As Richard (albeit fairly bluntly) said, we've not heard similar
reports from other people, but they might just be silently enduring
it. Any further help you can give us to get to the root cause would be
awesome.

Thanks,
Andy