[Talk-GB] Pigging potlach ...

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:15:24 GMT 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, can you describe the "freeze"? ...
>
> As Richard (albeit fairly bluntly) said, we've not heard similar
> reports from other people, but they might just be silently enduring
> it. Any further help you can give us to get to the root cause would be
> awesome.

The slowdown I notice is on a single-core 512Mb machine, and I haven't
looked into full system statistics for it but the behaviour is
consistent with thrashing virtual memory... after editing for a while,
drawing ways with the mouse gets very slow (almost freezes); I think I
found the browser process had got very large, but I can't remember.  I
just guessed that the code to search for whether the mouse was
currently on an existing node was looking through more stuff than
would fit in RAM, that was what the behaviour "felt" consistent with.
I can investigate further if you like, but are people concerned with
such small machines (other than as thin clients) these days anyway?
(It might be of concern for mappers in poor countries getting
second-hand machines, for example.)

__John