[Talk-GB] HS2 route is open data!

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Jan 23 20:27:20 GMT 2012

On 23/01/2012 20:21, Jason Cunningham wrote:
> Good to see the data being released,
> But.... I don't believe this "proposed" route should yet be added to OSM.
> You'll regularly here the phrase "map what's on the ground", but we
> all(?) accept upcoming changes to "what's on the ground" can be mapped,
> and these upcoming changes to the land are mapped using the proposed tag
> (then construction tag).

By that reasoning we wouldn't map boundaries, as these don't appear "on
the ground", they are entirely abstract concepts.

The point here is that this is *helpful geographical information*. If
the proposal goes away or changes, remove the data. Let's be pragmatic here.

We also seem to mark routes of old railways for which there is no
evidence on the ground. (Quite why, I don't know, and this raises the
question again of representing any historical data, but that was
discussed at length recently).

David