[Talk-GB] HS2 route is open data!

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Jan 23 20:58:44 GMT 2012

On 23 January 2012 20:27, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> On 23/01/2012 20:21, Jason Cunningham wrote:
>
>> Good to see the data being released,
>> But.... I don't believe this "proposed" route should yet be added to OSM.
>> You'll regularly here the phrase "map what's on the ground", but we
>> all(?) accept upcoming changes to "what's on the ground" can be mapped,
>> and these upcoming changes to the land are mapped using the proposed tag
>> (then construction tag).
>>

> By that reasoning we wouldn't map boundaries, as these don't appear "on
> the ground", they are entirely abstract concepts.
>
> The point here is that this is *helpful geographical information*. If the
> proposal goes away or changes, remove the data. Let's be pragmatic here.

I agree that one should not add every aspirational route, however this is
much more than an aspiration and there is considerable support for it from
official sources. I believe we should indeed add transport proposals where
they have committed funding and official firm support. We should of course
tag is as 'proposed'. If the project goes ahead we change it to
'consturction', if it goes cold then we delete it. Fyi, I did just that on
the Tintewhistle bypass to the east of Manchester. I added it when it was
funded and and in the HA plans and then removed it when the public inquiry
collapsed a while later.

It is of course up to map rendering script to determine if it is
appropriate render 'proposed' transport schemes and this will depend on the
use to which it is to be put. Mapquest probably wouldn't show them (because
mapquest are primarily providing maps for the traveler. OSM Mapnik will
probably show it because it tries to map almost everything. Other mapping
outlets can make their own decision.

Good news re rendering HS2 for use in Potlatch. One suggestion...  I notice
that the shape file contains details of cuttings, embankments, bridges (and
viaducts) and tunnels. Could you present that using distinct colours or
textures or something? It is tagged separately for each side of the route,
ie eastside=cutting.

Regards,

Peter