[Talk-GB] Blue Plaques and others

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Jan 29 13:03:53 GMT 2012

Robert Norris <rw_norris at hotmail.com> wrote:

Seeing as it's Charles Dicken's 200th Birthday soon,
http://www.charlesdickensbirthplace.co.uk/charles-dickens/charles-dickens-200

I thought I should get around to mapping the Blue and other Coloured Plaques in my area of Portsmouth, especially as there's one at his birthplace.

However OSM seems a little vague in the best way to tag them, as there's nothing recommended in the wiki AFAIK.

TagInfo has some clues of in use methods

He's my planned tagging scheme:

Basic:

historic=memorial
landmark=memorial_plaque
memorial_plaque:colour=blue|brown|whatever|RGB code?
name='name' - just the name of the person / organization the plaque is about eg 'Charles Dickens'

Optional Extended Detail:

openplaques:id=number
description='full inscription text' - without operator information
operator='civic society name' | 'local council name' | whatever if known
start_date= date plaque was erected if known

It would be really good if the only existing map I know of - that uses OSM data - could be expanded to cover the whole of the UK:

http://mappa-mercia.org/blue-plaques-map.shtml

(Or maybe a bit more information on how the 'blue-plaques.tsv' was created to power that map).

Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving isn't for you.

I have stated to map the 60ish plaques (mostly blue) in Hull and update the openplaques site too. I wrote a blog about it earlier this month http://chris-osm.blogspot.com/2012/01/plaques-blue-or-not.html . It seems there is a plaque to Dickens here too, though I haven't checked it out yet. I'm creating a small-scale tourism site including blue plaques and other memorials such statues.

I use historic=memorial, memorial=blue_plaque, description=summary, openplaques:id=* I will happily change if there is a consensus, but the blog and comments show some issues. Many a wiki page would help discuss the issue (now I feel dirty).

Cheers, Chris
Cheers, Chris
User chillly
Blog http://chris-osm.blogspot.com