[Talk-GB] DfT Consultation - Traffic orders: simplifying (& mapping?) the process

Paul Bivand paul.bivand at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 23:51:37 GMT 2012

I was thinking in relation to the Satnav summit, but I suppose it fits here as
well.

If DfT was willing to help... set up an OSM toolchain to collect local
authority changesets under Open Government Licence, which were then available
for OSM (and forks) and for the commercial map providers.

It would then be up to the commercial people to translate OSM changesets
submitted by local councils into their own formats.

I was thinking of new changes rather than current patterns, which are rather
more satnav summit material.

I presume for consultation purposes these would have to be tagged 'proposed'
and then the tag removed when actioned.

Setting up an XML schema when we've got one that works seems a bit like
reinventing wheels.

Such a system would automatically flow through into Satnavs using OSM, and via
the commercial providers, into other satnavs as well (subject to their
updating processes/costs)

Paul Bivand (paulbiv)