[Talk-GB] PRoW Ref codes (WAS:Hampshire Rights of Way Data released under OS OpenData licence)

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:02:34 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is it not sensible to use the reference format of the place you are in,
> rather than create some sudo standard?

>> A web application I'm developing straddles many counties.  So I've decided
>> to adopt the scheme:
>>   code-for-council:code-for-path-adopted-by-council

I think this is a way of doing what you suggest, i.e. using the
reference format of the place you're in (along with the necessary
indication of what place you are in).

An alternative would be to use the council's own code, and then in
another tag (or in a relation, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Is_In)
indicating which county it is in.  But that seems a roundabout way of
doing it, harder both to use and to map.

__John