[Talk-GB] PRoW Ref codes (WAS:Hampshire Rights of Way Data released under OS OpenData licence)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 8 16:23:42 BST 2012

On 08/06/2012 16:02, John Sturdy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Is it not sensible to use the reference format of the place you are in,
>> rather than create some sudo standard?
>>> A web application I'm developing straddles many counties.  So I've decided
>>> to adopt the scheme:
>>>    code-for-council:code-for-path-adopted-by-council
> I think this is a way of doing what you suggest, i.e. using the
> reference format of the place you're in (along with the necessary
> indication of what place you are in).
>
> An alternative would be to use the council's own code, and then in
> another tag (or in a relation, see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Is_In)
> indicating which county it is in.  But that seems a roundabout way of
> doing it, harder both to use and to map.

That is exactly what the concept of namespaces/value domains is designed
to address. Counties won't check with each other about uniqueness of the
value, so it's only guaranteed unique and unambiguous within the context
of a certain county. Hence, the ref must be accompanied with an
indication of which county generated the ref. So ref=organisation:num is
one way, ref:organisation=num is another. Just think of what happens in
the case of a new path: who or what generates its ref?

It would be nothing short of best practice to include the organisation
in the tagging. Just like the principle which says that amounts are
never recorded in financial systems without a currency code and
timestamps must always have a timezone - to avoid all possibility of
ambiguity.

Colin