[Talk-GB] Stations and platforms=*

Kev js1982 osm at kevswindells.eu
Thu Jun 28 14:42:52 BST 2012

How many has Preston got?

In current use for scheduled services there are platforms 1-6 which are
split into A and B - so 6 or 12?
Then there are two bay platforms - 3C and 4C - are they counted as part of
3 and 4 or separate.?
Then there is platform 7 which gets used once in a blue moon - IIRC the
last train I saw use it was 4472 - Flying Scotsman back in the 1990s.

There is then a another two platforms which were used by the Royal Mail for
years, but platform 0 was used for a while during station refurbishment -
however it's out of public use once again.

Wikipedia has a handy map -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Preston_railway_station_2008.png 7 is the
right most one (numbered as such in the station itself) and 0 is the right
hand side of the blue platform)

To me the correct answer could be one of 8 (1-6, 3C, 4C), 9 (same plus 7),
14 (1a-6a, 1b-6b, 3c-4c), 15 (same plus 7) or any of those plus 1
(including platform 0).  My inclination would be towards 8 or 9 (probably
9) though.

How many platforms does Ormskirk have? - there is one physical one in
place, but the tracks are cut in half down the middle - the northern half
of the platform being part of the national rail network, and the sourthern
half being part of Mersey Rail.