[Talk-GB] Licence change - one month to go

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Mar 3 21:04:45 GMT 2012

Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
> I wonder if another prioritisation approach might be useful
> too -- prioritising certain high-value types of objects,
> where-ever they might be.

Yes, I think that's an excellent idea. Obviously, everyone has their own
definition of "high value" (I'm quite anxious to make sure the NCN survives
in good shape, for example), but motorways, A and B roads should certainly
be a principal focus. I've been doing a bunch of work on the A55 in North
Wales and have noticed others working on A roads around the place.

> You can sort of look for these types of object using BadMap [1] at
> low zooms, but it's not that easy, and the low zooms aren't
> updated as often I don't think. It would be much easier if there
> was a specific list of objects to work from. I'm afraid I don't
> have the hardware / experience / technical expertise to
> generate the data sets, but maybe someone who does might
> think it's a good idea...

That sort of heavy data lifting is a bit outside my comfort zone as well,
I'm afraid, but I wonder if maybe asking Simon just to increase the highway
weights at small scales might make them easier to spot...

cheers
Richard
who is currently mapping a country walk (fresh territory) from this
afternoon because it shouldn't _all_ be about armchair remapping ;)