[Talk-GB] Cycling, the law and traffic signs

rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Tue May 15 23:32:30 BST 2012

Hi,

On the UK tagging guidelines consultation page [1] both Andrew C and
Richard M pointed out that the blue sign with a bicycle on it [2] does
_not_ imply foot=no. As I had copied this tag over from the original
guidelines page I would like to seek advice before removing the foot=no
component.

The highway code section on 'signs giving orders' [3] clearly states that
this sign means "route to be used by pedal cycles only". Furthermore, a
quick google reveals the following advise:

"A Cycle Track ... means a way constituting or comprised in a highway,
being a way over which the public have the following, but no other, rights
of way, that is to say, a right of way on pedal cycles (other than pedal
cycles which are motor vehicles within the meaning of the Road Traffic Act
1972) with or without a right of way on foot [Section 329(1) Highways Act
1980]. The words in brackets were inserted by section 1 of the Cycle Tracks
Act 1984. Cycle tracks may be created through conversion of a footway or
footpath or newly constructed."
-- Source: Bikehub [4]

Note the wording "a right of way on pedal cycles (...) with or without a
right of way on foot".

As I am not a regular cyclist I must admit that I don't pay much attention
to these signs. So my question is do Local Authorities use the cycle and
foot signs (segregated or otherwise) and reserve the cycle sign for cases
where traffic regulation prevents foot access (in which case foot=no would
be correct), or is use mixed?

Cheers,
Rob

[1]