[Talk-GB] Cycle lanes and Cycle Tracks - how to map

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:20:33 BST 2012

Gosh, you are a glutton for punishment.

cycleway=track is used extensively in some countries
highway=cycleway is use extensively in some countries
cycleway=track was only rendered on OCM relatively recently
cycleway:left|right=track|lane isn't rendered on OCM
the Danes had a big argument about which to use and settled on
cycleway=track, despite it not being rendered on OCM
cycleway=track gives you more control over the rendering
highway=cycleway is easier to route, though unpacking cycleway=track isn't
difficult
sub-tagging of cycleways is difficult (eg their membership of a route
relation) if you use cycleway=track

In essence it comes down to the problem that recombining two parallel ways
in order to render them neatly is next-to-impossible. Whereas putting the
tags on a single way loses some micro-geography.

I'd go for cycleway=track, but I'm not prepared to go round deleting
highway=cycleway, and thus having lots of stuff disappear in OCM. So until
OCM can render cycleway:left|right properly, we're probably stuck with both.

Richard