[Talk-GB] Tagging the South Dorset Ridgeway (was South West Coast Path Inland)

m902 m902.osm at gmail.com
Sat May 19 23:10:07 BST 2012

On 19/05/2012 02:10, Jason Cunningham wrote:

> After spotting the the most recent problem with the SW Coast Path, I'd
> decided to follow the suggested idea of creating a super relation for
> this route.  The official website breaks the whole route down into 52
> sections so I was thinking of using those. Would 52 relations be too
> many?
>
> I may have given the idea some thought but I didnt get far because it
> seemed a huge bit of work. I meant to do a bit of research to see if
> there was an easy way of splitting this massive relation but havent
> got round to it. So I may as well ask now - Is there an easy way to
> split this massive relation? I'd thought about about trying to
> downloading with Josm, then copy and pasting sections of the route to
> a new layers then adding the relation data to this clean bit of route?

Andy & Jason, thanks.

I've created a new relation 2190977
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2190977> with 'name=South
Dorset Ridgeway' and 'alt_name=South West Coast Path Inland' to reflect
that the latter name is still used. I've omitted 'network=' for now as I
am unsure what to use if this becomes part of a super relation.

I've also updated all the sections of the route marked with 'name=South
West Coast Path Inland' by removing that name and adding to the 'South
Dorset Ridgeway' relation. There are a few gaps, particularly round the
new Weymouth Relief Road.

As far as the super relation for South West Coast Path is concerned, if
someone would like to create the relations for each section, I would be
happy to manually retag the route based on what is there today. This
would take a few weeks, but obviously without first hand knowledge (I'm
not offering to walk it as part of the work!).

Regards
Martin