[Talk-GB] FW: Office of National Statistics data

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 09:19:39 GMT 2012

Kevin Peat wrote:
>> Making this sort of distinction (what can have a postcode) is incredibly
>> >difficult - for instance NCP carparks do have a postcode.
>> >
> Shame about that, but if someone does a full postcode search and there
> are OSM objects tagged with that exact postcode then wouldn't it be
> better just to return those objects or at least have them at the top
> of the list?
>
> In my case there are 3 buildings tagged with the full postcode but
> when I search for it they appear below an entry for the suburb of the
> town which I think if shown at all should be further down the list.

That is a sensible suggestion ...
There ARE objects that could be left out of the search, but actually car parks
are not one of them if one uses that to direct clients where to park via sat
nav. I'd make a case for leaving out post boxes IF there is a result with a full
post code, and perhaps this is the problem? Until there are actual targets,
anything in the general area can be useful.

SO listing 'exact match' then any possible secondary hits is a good starting point?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL