[Talk-GB] Telegraph releases Green Belt data

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 16:25:33 GMT 2012

On 28 November 2012 15:37, Ralph Smyth <RalphS at cpre.org.uk> wrote:

> The Department for Communities and Local Government released the data
> for the 2011 green belt to the Telegraph, and it is being made available
> here to view, explore, share and download.

That seems to be the limit of the details of the licence (there's
nothing in the download itself), so as such it's not suitable for use
as a source of data. Before we could use it in OSM, we'd need the
dataset to come with a clear licence.

We need more permissions than just that - we need to be able to
re-license, and the permission to create derived products.
Additionally we need to know what the attribution requirements are.

Of course, if the DCLG want to add an OGL licence to the data, that
would be a good start. Clarification around OS rights in the data, if
any, would be nice too.

> Previously the data has only been available at a cost of tens of
> thousands of pounds from a third party, despite the location of green
> belt land being identified by councils using taxpayer money.

This is why I suggest a lot of caution - if we take the data and
incorporate it into OSM, and it turns out to have come from this third
party through a more-limited release, we could end up in difficulties.

Cheers,
Andy