[Talk-GB] Telegraph releases Green Belt data

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Nov 28 20:46:35 GMT 2012

On 28 November 2012 19:40, Andy Robinson <ajrlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the area’s most certainly are not “protected” as they are actively
> being discussed for development.

These are probably areas that have been de-designated, or are being
considered for this fate, since the Telegraph's data source was compiled.

This points to the major flaw with importing this data - it changes year to
year, and we can't easily observe the changes on the ground. We might spot
development on green belt and so remove the designation, we don't spot
where new green space is designated as greenbelt. Unless we had ongoing
co-operation from local authorities, within a year we'd be hosting a
dataset that's out of date and impossible to check.

The data is out on the Telegraph web site under unclear terms, it would be
great to provide it in all sorts of other useful formats, but I don't think
it's useful to import it into OpenStreetMap.

Tom