[Talk-GB] importing house shapes

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Wed Oct 17 10:07:05 BST 2012

On 17 October 2012 07:44, J.Woollacott <woollac at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Adam,
>
> If you decide to have another look at JOSM, then I use a plugin called
> Terracer,  which allows you to draw around the outside of a terrace of
> houses (or semi-d) and then you can split that block into multiple
> individual units.  The plugin also allows you to add the street names
> automatically to each building.   (And create an associatedStreet relation
> if you are feeling brave...)

Another plugin which I have found extremely useful for houses and
address is utilsplugin2 [1], particularly the 'Split Object' tool
which lets you select any two nodes on a closed way and it will split
the object there into two ways. I use it a lot for places where I've
traced a complex building outline (anything more complex than a
rectangle) and then after a survey realised that it's two buildings
connected so I need to split it.

I would also personally encourage people to add associatedStreet
relations to their mapping (since it makes my life easier for the
Postcode Finder) but I understand that some people just prefer to use
addr:street. Unfortunately the Postcode Finder is down at the moment
(due to an OS upgrade on Errol) but I'm hoping to fix it soon.

[1] http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Plugin/UtilsPlugin2

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com