[Talk-GB] FW: Office of National Statistics data

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 13:04:42 GMT 2012

On 31 October 2012 12:25, SomeoneElse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:

> Tom Hughes wrote:

>>> Is that different to what's used on www.openstreetmap.org for the Search
>>> box? That's where I want to see accurate postcode searching.
>>>

>> The search box on www.osm.org uses nominatim.osm.org which as far as I
>> know is running Nominatim 2 and includes Codepoint Open as a data source.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>  I've just tried searching osm.org for S42 7DT and the first answer is a
> street that is actually S42 7DY according to Chris's site.  Is it perhaps
> just using the first "S42 7##" part?

It does a search using the royal mail postcode but then returns only data
found in OSM.

It seems we might have lost the 'order by distance to the postcode' when I
added the wikipedia importance code so it is now returning the 10 nearest
roads in an arbitrary order.  I'll try and get that fixed.

I've always been concerned about merging the postcode data into the OSM
output and lower lever indexing because of the uncertainty around the '©
Royal Mail' part of the license.  If this data is now being imported into
OSM I assume I should now stop worrying about this?  Or would people prefer
that nominatim continues to only output true OSM data rather than a hybrid?

--
 Brian