[Talk-GB] maxspeed changes

Jason Cunningham jamicuosm at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 25 14:00:59 BST 2012

A few of my own thoughts. Since the subject came up on the GB list a year
ago I've been adding speed limits. Personal confusion about a speed limit
on a roundabout along a dual carriageway led to me creating a personal page
about UK speed limits
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Jamicu/UK_Speed_Limits

*Use of "maxspeed=national"*
I assume it would be problematic or extremely complex for end users to work
out the speed limit by simply using "national". It's a trivial action to
add whether the national speed limit is dual or single. A restricted road
is also a type of national speed limit although it's commonly considered a
separate type.

*Use of additional source:maxspeed or maxspeed:type*
I'm getting increasingly fed up with adding a speed limit in mph, then
adding a second tag for the same thing. It feels like an unnecessary waste
of time. I have been using the source:maxspeed tag to add what I'd call the
correct speed limit, but I'd agree that using maxspeed:type makes more
sense.

I'd prefer it if only one tag was used, and that for National Speed Limits
we indicated whether it was dual, single, or restricted. But we've clearly
gone too far on the numerical type road, many people find it easier to
simply put a number in.

Jason