[Talk-GB] maxspeed changes

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Sep 25 18:32:28 BST 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 14:00 +0100, Jason Cunningham wrote:
> A few of my own thoughts. Since the subject came up on the GB list a
> year ago I've been adding speed limits. Personal confusion about a
> speed limit on a roundabout along a dual carriageway led to me
> creating a personal page about UK speed limits
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Jamicu/UK_Speed_Limits

A few thoughts on special roads that may interest you and may worth
adding to your wikipage.

In England and Wales the motorway speed limit is indicated by the blue
start of motorway sign, effectively indicating the National Speed Limit
of 70mph.

In Scotland, however, there are 70mph signs, as without them the blue
start of motorway sign would indicate end of speed limit, i.e. no limit.

The same rules apply in England and Wales on special 'A' roads. The only
one I can think of is the A55 near Colwyn Bay. At the start of the
restricted section there are green signs, indicating the restrictions
(no cyclists, no horses animals, pedestrians etc). There are also 70mph
signs, as again in this case the NSL sign would indicate no limit.

Phil