[Talk-GB] Missing place=city nodes: Manchester, Leeds

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Apr 28 09:48:07 UTC 2013

On 28/04/2013 09:49, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed (through doing nominatim searches) that a small number of
> UK cities (i.e. Manchester and Leeds) do not appear to have a place=city
> node, only an administrative boundary.
>
> Is this deliberate? I've tried other large UK cities and all of those
> have a place=city node.
>
> If it's a genuine error I'll add Manchester back (assuming Piccadilly
> Gardens is the centre, unless anyone has any better suggestions) but
> don't know Leeds well enough to know what might be thought of as the centre.

In general, it shouldn't be necessary to have a node and an area which
represent the same thing.

Nodes were historically used for things like car parks before we had
satellite imagery and everything had to be estimated from GPS, but now
we have those, areas have largely taken over.

Asking the question 'where should I put it' just illustrates why a node
is a problem, an approximation.

Larger and especially irregularly shaped areas may tend to get their
labels placed in less than obvious places on renderings, which I guess
is why so few of the place nodes have been removed when the areas were
introduced, unlike the almost religious fervour to abolish nodes for car
parks, schools and churches when areas were made for them.

David