[Talk-GB] walls versus landuse=field

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Apr 30 09:24:59 UTC 2013

On 30 April 2013 09:38, Henry Gomersall <heng at cantab.net> wrote:

> Am I the only one that has been drawing walls and not fields? It's nice
> to have fields as individual logical units, but they're defined by the
> walls, so it strikes me the wall should be the defining characteristic.
> Is this a software problem in that the areas and the features are
> defined independently?

This has come up quite a few times in recent years. Some people map
boundaries, some people map fields, and some (myself included) do both. It
seems to be one of many occasions when personal preference and what you
find useful governs what you map.

The only thing I noticed about your example is the use of landuse=field,
which seems a pretty pointless tag to me. Much better to be using
landuse=farmland, landuse=meadow, natural=meadow, etc. to describe more
precisely what sort of land use the field has.

Regards,
Tom