[Talk-GB] Marking landuse and field boundaries

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 14:09:09 GMT 2013

I guess it depends on what you think is 'difficult' - to actually survey
them means a lot of walking, so I tend to only add the ones that I can
remember when I get home, and get the routes from Bing.

I have just had another look and for dry stone walls, it is quite easy to
distinguish some in Bing images, which lends itself to armchair mapping,
but it depends on the direction of the sun - I feel I need the shadow to be
confident that it is a wall I am looking at and not a track.  But a
reasonable guess that there is a feature there is probably more use than a
sheet full of nothingness...so I have just spent 20 mins with bing imagery
adding walls to a hillside that I know has lots of walls on it, and I had
started adding quite a few from my last visit (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.74429&lon=-2.09388&zoom=16&layers=M).
  The suspicious gaps are where I can not tell/remember if there is a fence
to replace the apparently disappeared wall....   Wire fences of course are
much harder to spot....  I'll look for the errors next time I am there and
correct them...

Graham.

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.