[Talk-GB] European Walking Route E2 / Staffordshire Way / Viking Way

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Jan 9 01:09:56 GMT 2013

Does anyone know what's going on with European Walking Route E2?

I first spotted it when someone split the Staffordshire Way into 3 and
added the middle relation to a new E2 super-relation.  I found that a
bit odd, but no odder than adding unsigned C-road references to the map.

I've recently looked again and found that that super-relation is no more
and a new series have been created:

West Midlands:
(contains lots of the individual ways that also form the Staffordshire
Way, and some others)

East Midlands:
(contains lots of the individual ways that also form the Viking Way, and
some others)

These are in turn part of:

which consists of:
Way Lower Lees Road (153526213)
Way Henley Road (147988092)
Way Henley Road (147988091)
Relation European walking route E2, UK, West Midlands (1976230)
Relation European walking route E2, UK, South East England (1976229)
Relation European walking route E2, UK, East of England (1976183)
Relation European walking route E2, UK, Yorkshire and the Humber (1976184)
Relation European walking route E2, UK, East Midlands (1976182)
Way Preston Road (152559211)

(a curious mixture of ways and relations)

which is in turn part of:

which is a European E2 super-relation.  Here "operator:uk" is defined as
"Long Distance Walkers Association", which also seems odd.

But E2 isn't mentioned here at all:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Europe/Long-distance_paths

The West Midlands part of E2 seems to miss the last 6-months's updates
that I've made to the Staffordshire Way, which would suggest that
defining this bit of E2 in terms of the middle bit of the Staffordshire
Way would save whoever's updating it the job of manually editing it.

It's the same with the East Midlands piece, as can be seen here:

http://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/en/?zoom=11&lat=53.08111&lon=-0.68741&hill=0

Does anyone know where this mystery E2 is coming from?  I'm sure there
are lots of sources on the web, but are any of them suitably licenced
for inclusion in OSM?  I don't believe that I have ever (on the
Staffordshire Way or the Viking Way) seen an E2 signpost on the ground.

Cheers,
Andy

(this question was prompted by me trying to update
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Way#Progress to say
something sensible)