[Talk-GB] PRoW surveying authorities (Was: Guidance for adding PRoW to OSM: prow_ref=)

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:38:37 GMT 2013

No extra "designation" tag is needed in my opinion. If they are on the
authorities list of streets, then they are legally exactly the same as any
other road. Therefore highway=unclassified would be fine. The issue arises
when they are not well maintained, narrow, or not suitable for some larger
vehicles. We really need some way of identifying this in a tag so that
routing engines can suggest an alternative route. I guess some people may
use highway=track to make a distinction, but I'm not convinced this is
right...

Ideas welcome (I've not seen enough examples to get an understanding of
what these roads are actually like on the ground - photos welcome too)

Rob