[Talk-GB] Finding Unmapped public rights of way

Dudley Ibbett dudleyibbett at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 28 18:16:25 UTC 2013

I have tried increasing the memory allocated to JOSM but it is still a very slow process.  The most convenient way for me would be to download the Geofrabik file for derbyshire when I need and update but it looks like a merge with the derbyshire prow will take an hour or more at the current rate of progress.

Osmosis is unfortunately producing an error.  SEVERE: Thread for task 1-rx failed org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.OsmosisRuntimeException: Node -272236 does not ha
ve a version attribute as OSM 0.6 are required to have.  Is this a 0.5 file?

So it seems the file format may not be right.

I'm afraid the other types of analysis are a bit beyond me but it would be a useful tool to have is someone can highlight prows not mapped.  To be useful it would need frequent updates and enable walks to be planned to cover the ground.  I guess having some stats would be nice to monitor progress.

I do put in the designation on paths etc. when I find they are missing.

At the moment I only put in new footpaths if I have walked them.  I assume this is what others have done before in my part of the world and it would seem the right approach at the moment and possibly a selling point for OSM maps in the future.   It seems a good approach given there is already reasonable coverage but it may not be so applicable where there isn't.  Something for debate perhaps.

Many thanks for the responses.

Regards

Dudley