[Talk-GB] help with rights of way and core paths in Scotland

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 11 11:34:02 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-11 10:12, Barry Cornelius wrote:
> I think I understand what councils have to do for public rights of way in
> England and Wales.  However, I don't understand the situation concerning
> rights of way in Scotland.  I would like some help, please.
>
> What kinds of paths are there in Scotland?
> I've seen mention of both rights of way and core paths.
> What's the difference?
> Who are the authorities that have legal obligations?
> What legal obligations do they have?
> Do they have to maintain a definitive map?

"Core paths" were created by the Land Reform Act 2003.
All of the local authorities and national park authorities are required
to produce a core path plan, which should include the main routes for
walking, cycling, horseriding, canoeing etc. So the core paths may
include paths, as well as tracks, driveways, public roads, and rivers.

It seems most of the authorities have now produced a core path plan,
though some of them are still consulting on it.
I'm not sure if its actually a legal requirement, but the guidance says
that the authorities should "promote" the core paths. So this means they
will usually be signposted in some way. I'm not sure which areas have
actually done this.

Craig