[Talk-GB] Highways Leading to Farms and single residential properties in rural areas

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 11:47:18 UTC 2013

Oops - highway=service, not surface...

-----Nick Whitelegg/FT/Solent wrote: -----
To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
From: Nick Whitelegg/FT/Solent
Date: 12/03/2013 11:46AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Talk-GB] Highways Leading to Farms and single residential properties in rural areas

>This may be a matter of style but it seems that both Highway=Service and Highway=Track are used for the access highways to farms and also residential properties in rural areas.  I must admit I was using High=Track based on >whether it was paved (tarmac) or not.  i.e. tarmac would suggest Highway=Service but looking closer at the wiki it appears that Highway=Service isn't dependent on this.  It would also appear that there has been an import
>(source tag) that has tagged Highway=Service in some areas for Farm access.

I would generally always use highway=surface for these, plus surface=unpaved if necessary.

The exception is where it appears to be a public road rather than private drive. Diagnostic features for this would include "Give Way" markers on the road, the "T" no through road sign, or a road name.
In these cases I would use highway=unclassified.

Nick