[Talk-GB] newbie questions about building outlines

Brian Norman brian at earthware.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 14:41:07 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone

As a newbie contributor I was hoping to get some advice and wisdom before making a mess of things ;-). At the moment I am working on a commercial project that needs to show building outlines for inner London. I have done some simple analysis to try and identify the gaps in the London coverage and am looking at possible options for filling in the gaps. This is where I have a few questions:

1)      Does anyone know if there has been a deliberate reason to not fill in the gaps with the generalized buildings from OS vectormap district? I can think of many reasons this might have been decided by the community but noticed that this has been done in other UK cities

2)      We are working with our client to investigate the costs of adding the missing buildings to OSM by tracing the Bing imagery. My analysis shows there are at least 100,156 buildings present in the OS vector district data that don't overlap a building in the OSM data within the area we are considering but this is a very low estimate. Does anyone have any rough guide for a per building time to estimate the effort involved?

3)      Is anyone aware of an company that are experienced in creating large volumes of OSM data from tracing aerial imagery?

4)      Does anyone have any other recommended approaches?

Thanks for any responses and please forgive my general ignorance

Thanks
Brian