[Talk-GB] City names translation

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:36:55 UTC 2014

> Since English has non-phonetic spelling (and some placenames are
> particularly non-phonetic) there's no solid base for automatic
> transliteration to something meaningful in another script, so I
think
> it's reasonable to put the Ukrainian spelling in explicitly, for
> places for which such a spelling is established..

Perhaps in the cast of non-phonetic places there is some argument
that such names could possibly be added, but looking at Pavlo's
proposed cities I noticed Chelmsford which already has two Cyrillic
language transliterations I feel would be better removed.

There is a bit in the wiki which recommends avoiding
transliterations:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Avoid_transliteration

Speaking of an on the ground example, a few years ago I visited
Crete and while all signs were in Greek, some of the tourist ones
were also in a Roman script (I can't claim "English" - a name is a
name). One particular place we wanted to visit we struggled to find
on the map, and it was only when we were driving in the area we
found that the translation from Greek in the guide book we'd read in
advance, and the translation and the map and the translation on the
sign post were three different translations. In this instance (if
I'd been an OSM mapper at the time) I'd have added a name:en of what
was on the sign, though as noted above it isn't technically "en". I
suspect the three different translations were transliterations of
different ways it was pronounced.

As far as I know Chelmsford has no cyrillic translations on their
signs.

Ed