[Talk-GB] City names translation

Pavlo Dudka pavlo.dudka at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:00:06 UTC 2014

I assert that it is "much better" to use a single service, because it is
easier to add 100 osm-tags than implement communication with external data
sources.
Nominatim use osm-data, it should not(and I hope will never) use any other
data from Wikidata or other projects.
Mapnik allows to process .osm data without using any external data sources.
There is also nice project "Multilingual Map" created as part of
Multilingual maps wikipedia project(
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_maps_wikipedia_project).
Can any of this services be easily modified to use Wikidata? No.

I don't ask anyone to waste his time to modify UK place-nodes. That's how I
want to spend my own time. But I want to be sure that SomeoneElse_Revert or
someone else will not revert my changes.

OSM-community tries to avoid any imports. I would like to check all cities
one by one. I will check its spelling in ukrainian spelling dictionary,
wikipedia, web articles.

Note, half of UK cities don't have any reference to Wikipedia.
http://overpass-turbo.eu/?Q=node[%22is_in:country%22=%22United%20Kingdom%22][%22place%22=%22city%22][%22wikipedia%22!~%22.*%22];out%3B&R
I can fill them too while adding name:uk=*.