[Talk-GB] C roads again

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 13 06:05:10 UTC 2014

This sounds very sensible. Can/should it be extrapolated to cover other
cases where the signposting (or lack of it) of a road number contradicts
the official version? I am thinking specifically of B-roads which are
still officially classified as such, and indeed frequently rendered as
secondary (not just by OSM), where the road number was removed from the
signs years ago (probably to discourage traffic)?

Example:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/51.4083/0.2956

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.409452,0.298958,3a,75y,234.44h,78.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-0NCD5FN6g3rpCZLcqhXQA!2e0?hl=en

Highcross Road and Whitehill Road are both shown as B255, because that
is what they officially are. On-the-ground evidence is that they are
more tertiary (Whitehill Road) and "nasty windy country lane"
unclassified (Highcross Road) and there is no sign of "B255" on any
sign. Should we put B255 into official_ref here?

--colin