[Talk-GB] UK addresses

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:12:04 UTC 2014

On 13/08/14 11:36, Will Phillips wrote:
> 2. I don't agree that tagging only postcode and 'addressable object' is
> a good idea. To convert that into a full address requires access to a
> closed database. Surely the whole point about OSM is creating useful
> data that is open? At the moment we don't even have sufficient open data
> available to add an accurate postcode to every address. I hope more
> address data will be made available under an open licence in the future,
> but at the moment we have to work with what we have got.

But the point here is if postcode is made a standard part of tagging
addresses then the open data holes will naturally be filled. Currently
there are a number of third party sources which could be pressed into
use to fill the gap, but it's making them normal use on the ground that
will solve the problem ...

We do have a lot of postcode data already available but it's perhaps
surprising that many objects that have their own postcode are not
currently included when that information is available in the original
sources. I've just added Ragley Hall postcode but a number of the
locations I look at Monday it was missing.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL