[Talk-GB] UK addresses

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:38:32 UTC 2014

Postcodes simply do not solve address issues.

They may mean that we can somehow handle any place where the Royal Mail
delivers post (given privatisation & possible Scottish independence, this
could conceivable be rather fewer places than it is now).

However, addresses have other purposes than mere postal delivery. There are
large numbers of places - notably university, hospital and industrial
campuses - which will have a single postcode and a single postal address,
but large numbers of addressable locations. The two obvious uses are
finding a place in person (whether using a map or a routing engine), and
cadastral data.

In addition there are many addresses where the postal street name is
different from the street name where the property is located.

One of the big advantages we have the Nottingham area address data is that
we have surveyed enough addresses on the ground to have be in the position
to identify the type and extent of exceptions to the typical urban address:
see slide 5 in my presentation
<http://www.slideshare.net/SK53/2sacrowd-osm-oaf> at the Open Addresses
Symposium for some examples. Similar data is available from OSM for
Cambridge, Tendring and Birmingham.

Jerry