[Talk-GB] UK use of highway=living_street

Donald Noble drnoble at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 17:27:56 UTC 2014

I have tended to map sections of residential streets with block paving, no
footways, and either chicanes of just sharp corners to prevent people
driving quickly as living_streets, whether or not they were explicitly
designed as such. These also tend to be exclusively dead-end sections,
rather than main routes. Not sure if this is correct, but I think there is
a difference between this type of street and relatively wide tarmac roads
with sweeping corners, where even if the speed limit is 20mph, cars can
easily drive at 30.

I'm not sure whether adoption or not is something that is relevant here, as
I'd guess this would be very hard to determine 'on the ground'.

On 31 August 2014 14:08, Craig Wallace <craigw84 at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2014-08-31 12:51, Rob Nickerson wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've see an increased use of block paving as a road surface on new
>> housing developments. Example image:
>>
>> http://cms.esi.info/Media/productImages/38030_1338993270237_PF.jpg
>>
>> How are people tagging these? At first I wondered about the
>> highway=living_street tag but the wiki page suggests these should be
>> signposted and have special regulations:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=living_street
>>
>> I guess highway=residential and surface=paving_stones is most suitable
>> unless someone has some better suggestions?
>>

> I don't think the road surface really matters as to whether or not it is a
> living street.
>
> What is more relevant:
> Are there any pavements, are they separated by kerbs? Or are people
> encouraged to walk along/across the road, ie "shared space".
> Is there a low speed limit. ie 20mph or less?
> Any traffic calming to slow vehicles down, eg speed bumps, or chicanes. Or
> street furniture, ie trees, bollards, benches on the road.
>
> Craig

Donald Noble
http://drnoble.co.uk - http://flickr.com/photos/drnoble