[Talk-GB] Apple trees around Cambridge

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 15:13:42 UTC 2014

Regarding your suggestion of brand as a tag: this was exactly why I
suggested the taxon tag rather than species long ago.

Japanese flowering cherries have such complicated genetics that the species
they originate from is not clear. They are therefore referred to in the
botanical and horticultural literature as follows *"Prunus *'Kanzan'; for
apples we can use "*Malus domestica* 'Bramley Seedling'" or "*Malus
domestica* 'MacIntosh'" (for fanbois), but note "*Malus *"Granny Smith'"
because its precise specific origin is not known
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny_Smith>.

Plants have specific conventions for naming (think how OSM will look after
250 years of tagging): ICBN for wild plants and ICNCP for cultivated ones.
We are best sticking with these.

Even if the trees planted are named on the labels, experience shows that
plant nurseries are not infallible (we have a purported Cork Oak which
is *Quercus
robur* in our local arboretum).

Jerry