[Talk-GB] Town v City

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Feb 25 10:11:24 UTC 2014

On 25/02/14 09:47, Philip Barnes wrote:

> City status is an honour granted by The Queen, not something that can be
> claimed by size or population. Like trunk roads, its quirky and like
> trunk roads I see it as the way we do things here.

You are correct that a City in the UK is defined that way.

That does not necessarily mean that place=city in OSM is defined in that
way, any more than every two man village in the US that decides to call
itself a city is tagged place=city in OSM.

The actual definition for place=city given in the wiki is:

"Use the place=city tag to identify the largest settlement or
  settlements within a territory, including national, state and
  provincial capitals, and other major conurbations.

To be honest I'm not sure what we have traditionally done in terms of
mapping place=city in the UK but as a general point you should beware of
attempting to interpret tags literally against local legalites.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/