[Talk-GB] Royal Mail & Parcelforce delivery offices

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Jan 12 15:01:17 UTC 2014

Borbus wrote:
>>> Is there a consensus on how to tag Royal Mail & Parcel Force delivery
>>> offices?
>>>
>>> Are these amenity=post_office, or something else?
>>
>> If there is a facility that allows the general public access to collect
>> or send mail then I'd consider amenity=post_office to be appropriate.

> They're not Post Offices, though.  Post Office (capitalised) has a very specific
> meaning in the UK, with more services than just posting letters.  It depends
> what we want amenity=post_office to mean but I'd say at a minimum without
> further tags it should mean you can actually post something.  If someone goes to
> a Local Delivery Office with a parcel to post they will be in for a surprise.

Added to that, there are a growing network of parcel services based on
convenience stores. I've been making more use of that service for parcels which
Royal Mail has now priced too high ;) Even in the local 'post office', some
activities are cheaper at the shop counter rather than at the post counter.

Post Office is perhaps now just part of the name like 'Parcelforce Depot' or
'Sorting Office'? To also bring in is these 'collection point' services for
parcels.
amenity=parcel_drop and parcel_collect perhaps along with operator= and perhaps
url to the related service?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL