[Talk-GB] highway=trunk Roads and Cycle Navigation

ianmspencer at gmail.com ianmspencer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 21:26:54 UTC 2014

No, it is a miscasting the problem to suggest we don’t tag trunk roads (which clearly was not part of the problem). The problem is that there is a tagging system in place which is ambiguous from an International point of view. So there should be a clear tagging that is distinct for the meaning of “trunk (UK sense)” vs “trunk (International sense)”

I am simply suggesting that it would be sensible to resolve the underlying data so that anyone choosing to use the data is able to understand it readily without having to assess what country the way has been created in.

So yes, it is an issue for the renderer or the router but I’d ask the question that if it is a problem for mappers to consider the convenience of the  renderer or the router, then who are you mapping for?

The problem is very simple, for arbitrary reasons in the past the “trunk” has been used to mean two very different types of highway - in Germany and as far as I can tell in all other countries a trunk road has default rules that exclude pedestrians and cyclists by law, in the UK the very same tag is used to mean simply a preferred chosen national navigation route with no other implications.

From a database background, is it wise to have such ambiguity in the core data of a project when there is some way of resolving it?

Perhaps the rest of the world is wrong and should not be using “trunk” but that is the state of the database we have. I’m not aware of any other attribute of highway that causes this issue.

Regards

Ian