[Talk-GB] [OHM] New York Public Library - Building Inspector

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:08:23 UTC 2014

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the offer of help. Yesterday I managed to get the NYPL
vectorizer working (this is the tool that has a first stab at creating
vectors from the map). I did this on a small screenshot of NLS's London
maps. I've asked Chris if he could send me a GeoTIF to do a larger scale
test.

Some of the key areas that I think need addressing:

* Improving the automated vectorizer. Currently the vectorizer creates
polygons of the inside of buildings (rather than following the wall). For a
terraced street this produces a row of detached buildings. Some processing
could improve this. I guess this could be done before, after, or both
before and after the polygon has been processed by the human volunteers on
the website.
* The website looks like it's a Rails site. I would need a lot of help with
this as it's an area I know very little about.

Are you able to help with either of these?

Kind regards,
Rob