[Talk-GB] UK postcodes on each side of the road

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun May 18 15:13:54 UTC 2014

On 18/05/14 15:33, Tom Hughes wrote:

> It's quite normal, yes. My street has three postcodes. One covers both
> sides for about one third of the length and the other two each cover one
> side for the other two thirds.
>
> Postcodes are part of an address and belong to a building, not a street,
> so that is where they should be tagged.

Since the postcode is designed to assist with nothing more than postal
sorting, some of these facits are to be expected. The postman will walk
down one side, turn around at the end and walk down the other side, so
the three ( or more ) postcodes will be in order of the walk :)

Postcodes belong to the walk, so are essentially sections of a street
normally, in addition to being tagged by delivery points in PAF ...
Postal Address File. House identifier + postcode is all that is needed
to provide a full address, and in this case, the street and other
location data can be provided by tags on a street rather than
duplicating that data unnecessarily on every building ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL