[Talk-GB] UK postcodes on each side of the road

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun May 18 14:33:13 UTC 2014

On 18/05/14 15:22, Dan S wrote:

> Of course lampposts are not identical with segments-of-streets, nor
> with building-addresses, so it's rarely clear where to draw the
> boundaries. But my main problem is that they often indicate different
> postcodes on each side of the road. Firstly, is that normal? And
> secondly, how to tag? I was hoping to attach postcodes to streets (or
> parts of streets). One thing I could do is just put postcodes on the
> home addresses I add (rather than on the streets), and only in the
> cases where it's clear from the lampposts.

It's quite normal, yes. My street has three postcodes. One covers both
sides for about one third of the length and the other two each cover one
side for the other two thirds.

Postcodes are part of an address and belong to a building, not a street,
so that is where they should be tagged.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)