[Talk-GB] UK postcodes on each side of the road

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon May 19 15:44:53 UTC 2014

On 19/05/14 08:57, Marc Gemis wrote:
> from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/FAQ
>
> <quote>
> Why doesn't Nominatim process addr:* tags on buildings[edit]
>
> For performance reasons buildings (and other low level features) are not
> fully indexed, but are instead simply inherit from their parent street.
> As such many addr:* tags except those directly related to the building
> are ignored. For instance add:town will never be used - instead the town
> of the road will be used.
> </quote>
>
> This is why I ask whether it works for you to have postcodes on the
> address nodes. My experiences is that they are useless for Nominatim.

I've been slowly adding details such as businesses in the local trading
estates, and just adding postcode + building ID for each. Nominatim
always picks up the correct location data even when a building is
adjacent to a number of roads. But nominatim is not the only tool using
address data, and not having to find adjacent roads because the postcode
is available makes life easy. I have a complete postcode database which
does of course help as well ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL