[Talk-GB] Tagging Residential & Retail zones

Andy Robinson ajrlists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:26:22 UTC 2014

Yes, mostly I do retail only but that really a lazy answer. Occasionally I have created an additional way over the building and labelled it residential but really I should add a layer tag to the upper and the lower to make it clear. There will be plenty of places where its more convoluted than that. An awful lot of main roads in London have shops below residential lets.


-----Original Message-----
From: David Woolley [mailto:forums at david-woolley.me.uk] 
Sent: 19 November 2014 08:48
To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Tagging Residential & Retail zones

On 19/11/14 08:37, tony wroblewski wrote:
> How do people normally go about tagging a landuse area which has both 
> residential and retail buildings. In many areas buildings often are

Most people seem to tag them as purely retail, but I did once code it as using both, with a ; between.

On the other hand, there is a tendency for councils to insist on retail units below large blocks of flats, which the developer would have preferred to be all housing, so, if you had just one type, the most accurate coding would be residential.

The case where I used a ; was only two or three storey, but was part of a complete social/affordable estate, and the housing above the shops was clearly part of the development as a whole.

> both residential and retail, in that the upstairs areas are rented 
> apartments, and the downstairs is shop. I'm not sure how to go about 
> correctly tagging the surrounding landuse, but so far I've been doing 
> it predominately on what the majority of the buildings are, i.e. If 
> the majority of the buildings and shops then the area is retail, etc.
> Tony
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-GB mailing list
> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb

Talk-GB mailing list
Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list